[Samba] Collisions

Jean-Francois Pelletier jf at heartsome.net
Fri Nov 1 11:18:01 GMT 2002

Hi,

I'm very new to network administration and especially Samba
configuration, and I have a very simple question. I just inherited the
Net Admin responsibility for our small startup company and we have only
10 machines on the network. All windows except the server and my laptop
which both run Linux.

I installed the latest Samba the server from the source files, compiled,
and everything went perfectly well that I was impressed. I wrote the
very simple smb.conf as suggested and when I typed \\Maggie on a Windows
workstation DOS prompt, the share appeared immediately like magic.

So I tested by transferring a lot of files, big and small, just to make
sure that it worked. And it worked. But during the transfer process, I
noticed that on my hub, the "Collision" LED was flashing very fast and
constantly. All my files transferred fast, no problem at all, and my
question might be stupid especially that I don't have a problem. Is it
normal that the collision LED flashes during files transfer?

Thanks!

Jean-Francois Pelletier