[Samba] Collisions

Michael Heironimus mkh01 at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 1 20:40:21 GMT 2002

On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 06:17:27PM +0700, Jean-Francois Pelletier wrote:
> noticed that on my hub, the "Collision" LED was flashing very fast and
> constantly. All my files transferred fast, no problem at all, and my
> question might be stupid especially that I don't have a problem. Is it
> normal that the collision LED flashes during files transfer?

As I recall, with a 10baseT hub a collision just means that two machines
tried to transmit at the same time. Heavy network activity (such as
transferring a large file) will often cause a sudden burst of collisions
as a perfectly normal by-product. It's definitely to be expected if you
also have a number of Windows machines on the hub, since they tend to
broadcast constantly.

--
Michael Heironimus