[Samba] Samba does not work over masquerade

David W. Chapman Jr. dwcjr at inethouston.net
Fri May 10 21:04:02 GMT 2002

> > Its not a samba problem.  NetbiosDGM needs to be proxies.  If you can
> > use ipfilter, look at the netbios proxy.  I believe port 137 needs to
> > be proxied as well.  The netbiosdgm proxy in ipfilter changes part of
> > the payload in the netbios dgm packet to work with NAT.
>
> I am not sure what you are talking about.  This is well beyond
> my current understanding.
>
> I am running a freshly-installed RedHat 7.3 distribution.
>
> Are there instructions on setting this up on a RedHat 7.3 machine?

There may be, but I don't run linux so I don't know if there are for redhat.
If you are just talking about share level access then that work's over NAT.
Logging on to a domain is where the problem is.  You logon, but the windows
client gets confused due to payload in the packet.  Its a pretty complex
issue unless you're someone who understands the netbios protocol.  I started
reading RFC 1001 and 1002.  There may be easier ways or you may not be
trying to do what I think you're doing, so hopefully someone else can help
you better than I can.