[Samba] Win98 join a PDC

Mac dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
Fri May 10 02:59:04 GMT 2002

>From: Dirk Allaert <da at schaubroeck.be>
>To: Alex Moen <alexm at ndtel.com>
>Cc: samba at lists.samba.org
>Subject: Re: [Samba] Win98 join a PDC
>Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 10:46:32 +0200
>

>Alex Moen wrote:
>> Wierd thing #1:  Windows 98 client will NOT connect on first attempt:
>> type in username and password, hit enter, wait 2 minutes, failure
>> message.  Click OK on the failure popup, hit enter again on the login
>> dialogue, wait another 2 minutes and client logs in almost perfectly (by
>> almost: trouble with home directory %u thingie).  Any ideas?
>>
>I am not sure this is a samba issue. I have also seen this once a
>Windows NT 4 PDC and a somebody reported me this on a Windows 2000 ADC
>(always with windows 98). Seemed to have to do with networking stuff.
>

>I the Windows 2000 case, the guy that told me had contacted CISCO (they
>were using a CISCO layer 3 switch) and CISCO changed some stuff on the
>switch (don't know what). Same scenario for NT 4 case: Baystack switch,
>PC's with Accton network card. Changed speed on switches (half duplex).
>Problem did not completely disappear but sure improved.

This sounds highly likely.  The Cisco 'stuff' they changed was probably
'portfast'.

See:-

for an explnation of why it can tkae upto a minute for a switch to start
passing packets after the PC has come up.  Also some (Cisco specific)
steps you can take (with detailed instructions) to reduce the problem.
[One of the steps is to twiddle duplex settings, but it's the very last
thing to try].

                               Mac
          Assistant Systems Adminstrator @nibsc.ac.uk
                        dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
   Work: +44 1707 654753 x285      Everything else: +44 7956 237670 (anytime)