[Samba] Samba and MS Access Question

John Benedetto jbenedet at unm.edu
Fri Mar 22 07:44:04 GMT 2002

--On Thursday, March 21, 2002 5:53 PM -0500 "Marc R. Fienman"
<mrf3000 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> We are using a Linux server running Samba..I am not sure which
> version...My expertise is in Access not Samba or Linux so I apologize for
> not knowing.  Anyway, we are using an Access database backend on the
> Linux server running Samba... The front end of the database resides on
> all the workstations.  When I try to print to our printer from the front
> end database and the printer either jams or runs out of paper...the
> database loses the connection to the backend..."Disk or Network Error" it
> says...Now, I've moved the backend to a workstation and this does not
> happen.  It only happens when the backend resides on the server under
> Samba.  I've seen similar posts but no explanation.... Any help would be
> appreciated.
> Sincerely,
> Marc R. Fienman

<rant>
Are you sending messages twice, or did the LIST send it to my INBOX twice?
I *know* it's frustrating to make a post, and not get any responses... but
this list is high traffic enough as it is, without people posting the same
message twice, or thrice or more!
</rant>

Frankly, it sounds to me like you need to buy new printers.  ;->

I do not have all that much experience with Access; I do know that I have
been frustrated with co-workers that have set up databases in the way you
describe (seperated front/back ends, sometimes one on the server, one
client), because we are always having trouble with them, not to mention
that all the db's had to be re-tooled when we went from Novell to Samba!

I have never seen anyone post anything similar to the problem you describe
(the connection being lost when a printer problem occurs).  Is it
rock-solid easily reproducible?  Jam the paper, and it will definitely
break the db?

When you say you have 'moved it to a workstation', are you talking about
the same workstation the front end is on, or on another workstation, and
try to connect to it through the network?  Can you attach a printer to the
other workstation, and try to duplicate the problem as it is happening on
the Samba server  - cause a printer error on the 'host' machine, and see if
the same problem occurs (thus exonerating Samba, and tying the problem to
the Access "database")?

For anyone on the list to help you (I am sure that I probably cannot, but
since you've posted this twice, it sounded to me like you would like
assurance that your message was at least READ by someone!), we kinda need
more help from YOU.

There are any number of problems associated with Access, and similar
programs.  You didn't provide ANY helpful information in your posts... What
client O/S(s)?  What host O/S (Linux, AIX, etc.)  What VERSION of Access?
Which version of Samba? What network setup?  Hubs, switches, VPN, dial-up?
Info from the SMB.CONF can also be helpful.  For example, most people turn
off oplocks on the share where the Access database resides.  Which printing
sytem are you using?  Are the printers attached directly to the server, or
hanging off the network?  Are the printers attached to desktops, and you
are sharing them that way?

See what I mean?

If you need a 'now', quick 'n dirty answer, upgrade to a real database.

- jb