[Samba] Accessing samba server locally

Roman, James (J.D.) jroman6 at ford.com
Fri Mar 22 05:52:03 GMT 2002

I've found that several things could block your access. Sometimes the proxy configuration on the browser interferes with the ability to access the local web page, especially if you are using an automatic configuration. Try using the "No proxy" option and see if this fixes the problem.

Next is the firewall setup. The default firewall script will probably block the SWAT admin port if you chose the High security option. You will probably need to write a firewall rule to allow access to port 901, ideally only from the IP address of your server. After you get the access denied message, try doing a tail /var/log/messages to see if there is a message that indicates the firewall is blocking access to port 901. You could verify the firewall is the problem by issuing the /etc/init.d/ipchains stop command (assuming you are using the default firewall package, if not stop iptables), and trying to reach the site. Use this option only if you feel confident that stopping your firewall won't leave you server too vulnerable to outside attackers (you might want to disconnect the network cable while doing this test). If you are now able to access SWAT, I would suggest first re-starting your firewall and adding a rule to open port 901 to your server's IP address.

Finally, if you loaded portsentry, if it is using the most secure setting, it could be creating a rule to block access to your PC when it tries to access port 901. Simply edit the portsentry configuration file to allow access to port 901.