[Samba] Samba serving port 445

ltiu ltiu at alumni.sfu.ca
Wed Mar 20 06:43:03 GMT 2002

Hello guys,

I've surfed the internet with no direct answer to my question (mainly because
I am clueless, sorry).

A have Samba 2.2.2 running with port 139 open. I can mount Samba shares with
mount  -t smbfs  -o username=xxx,password=xxx  //x.x.x.x/share
/mnt/mountpoint  from another Linux box.

Using tcpdump, I can see my family's XP Windows box client machine trying to
connect through port 445. What's going on here? Is Windows file sharing using
port 445 now? How do you set Samba to serve off port 445?

Thanks for any help. Anything at all to get me started....

ltiu