[Samba] Samba trashes PCL6 printing jobs.

Karl Stenqvist karl.stenqvist at tierp.se
Wed Mar 20 06:31:05 GMT 2002

Hi,

we have some problems using Samba as a printer server. The problem is that
we cant get our Sharp A-337 to print thru the Samba server.
We used PCL6 at first but it didn't work, so we tried PCL5 and still no
good. We then tried to print on our HP LaserJet 4 and there where no
problems.

When we compared a file that we sent to Samba and the same file in the samba
queue they weren't the same. The problem seems to be with samba. Why does it
garble the data sent from the Sharp-driver?

The OSes on the workstations tested now is Windows XP/2000.

Are there any known problems with Sharp or PCL6 in Samba?

Worth mentioning is that we're using CUPS and that we have tried both the -l
and -oraw switch when calling lpr.  We have also tried LPRNG.
Distribution used is RedHat 7.2 and Samba 2.2.1a-4

/Karl

Name:		Karl Stenqvist
Occupation:	IT-technician
Company:	Tierps kommun