[Samba] Printing woes in 2.2.3a, still

Robert M. Martel bob at urban.csuohio.edu
Fri Mar 15 13:26:09 GMT 2002

	Greetings, All,

	To start off, I think everyone has done a WONDERFUL job with Samba, and
I'd enjoy my job much less with out it.  A remarkable effort from everyone that
has contributed to the effort.  Now I will contribute my printing problems.

	I have Samba 2.2.3a running on top of Sun Solaris 8 and I have been
seeing a number of printing related problems.  From what I am seeing on the
mailing list, others are as well, but I've not seen much traffic with answers or
workarounds.

	Can anyone shed any light on any of the following problems:

	Problems with printer drivers:

	Drivers downloaded to Windows 2000 computers no longer have the correct
options set for things like memory, duplexer, other options.  Unless the user
logged on is a domain administrator, the options are grayed out and cannot be
changed.  Earlier results using Samba all the options were correctly set upon
download to the windows 2000 client.

	Unable to install print drivers for windows 95/98 onto the Samba server.
 Error messages from windows whining about the driver being incorrect for this
version of windows.

	Problem printing from Windows 2000 client:

	Client system NOT in the samba controlled domain.  User ID and Password
synchronized with Samba controlled domain.  User can browse and access network
shares on the print server.  When he tries to print, he gets an access denied
message.  He can *still* browse and access network shares on the print server.
Stopping and restarting Samba on the print server allows him to print again for
a while, later the cycle repeats.

	rpcclient command:

	Trying to use the command to examine installed print driver information
yields no results, not an error message, just blank responses.  Enumdrivers
comes back with nothing, enumprinters reports:
	"result was NT_STATUS_BUFFER_TOO_SMALL"

	It looks like something is really up with printing in 2.2.3a, is this a
correct assessment?  When I first set up printing in 2.2.2 I did not see such
problems.

	Thanks,
	Bob Martel

 Speaking only for myself - CSU pays better people than me to speak for them.

 Bob Martel - System Administrator              | I met someone who looks
 Maxine Goodman Levin College of Urban Affairs  |    a lot like you
 Cleveland State University                     | She does the things you do
 (216) 687-2214                                 |    But she is an IBM
 bob at urban.csuohio.edu                          |              -Jeff Lynne