[Samba] Samba client issues

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Thu Mar 14 12:56:13 GMT 2002

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Navin Boppuri wrote:

> params.c:OpenConfFile() - Unable to open configuration file "/usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf": No such file or directory
> Can't load /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf - run testparm to debug it
> load_client_codepage: filename /usr/local/samba/lib/codepages/codepage.850 does
> not exist.
> load_unicode_map: filename /usr/local/samba/lib/codepages/unicode_map.850 does not exist.
> load_unicode_map: filename /usr/local/samba/lib/codepages/unicode_map.ISO8859-1
> does not exist.
> smbfs: failed to load nls 'iso8859-1'
>
> Why do I need smb.conf file???? Is there no way I can override it? How

smbmount reads some default values from it. Try creating an empty file.

> do I get those codepage files in? What is the message on nls???

Your installation is missing the samba codepages. They are normally
installed by a 'make install' but maybe you did something else.

The "smbfs: failed to load nls ..." message means that you have specified
a default kernel nls module, but that the requested module doesn't exist.
Probably because you didn't configure the kernel build to build it.

/Urban