[Samba] Samba client issues

Navin Boppuri navin.boppuri at newisys.com
Thu Mar 14 11:27:03 GMT 2002

Hello everyone,

I am a newbie to samba. I am trying to mount a Windows 2000 share directory on my linux box using smbmount. I am able to do so successfully. But I do see some errors pop up when I run the command.  My mount seems to be stable and it is mounted as rw.

# smbmount "//EngineerWKS85/My Drivers" /mnt/samba -o username=MyUsername,password=MyPassword,workgroup=MyWorkgroup

params.c:OpenConfFile() - Unable to open configuration file "/usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf": No such file or directory
Can't load /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf - run testparm to debug it
load_client_codepage: filename /usr/local/samba/lib/codepages/codepage.850 does
not exist.
load_unicode_map: filename /usr/local/samba/lib/codepages/unicode_map.850 does not exist.
load_unicode_map: filename /usr/local/samba/lib/codepages/unicode_map.ISO8859-1
does not exist.
smbfs: failed to load nls 'iso8859-1'

Why do I need smb.conf file???? Is there no way I can override it? How do I get those codepage files in? What is the message on nls???

Any input would be very appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Navin Boppuri