[Samba] Mounting smbfs as guest at boot time

Sue Spence suespence99 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 4 15:53:06 GMT 2002

 --- Urban Widmark <urban at teststation.com> wrote: > On
Sat, 2 Mar 2002, Sue Spence wrote:

> > So I would merely (haha) like to know why the
> > operation of mounting a win2k smbfs partition as
> guest
> > always fails anytime during boot and always works
> > after a user logs in and manually performs the
> > operation.
>
> The difference is the environment of the processes.
> smbmount picks a
> username from $USER if none is given. I don't know
> if that is the trigger,
> but I think so.

For comparison/archive purposes, here's an /etc/fstab
entry which works as expected after boot but not
before:

//w2kbox/share	/mnt/thing	smbfs  guest,ro	0 0

I have come up with 2 workarounds for the problem
inspired by your response. I had tried #2 before, but
with a win2k system in which the 'guest' user was
disabled (d'oh).

Workaround #1:
--------------
//w2kbox/share	/mnt/thing	smbfs
username=guest,guest,ro	0 0

Workaround#2:
-------------
//w2kbox/share	/mnt/thing	smbfs
username=guest,password=,ro	0 0

I noticed that it is a little inconsistent with regard
to tolerance of presence/absence quotes in the
argument list (actually it seems to accept anything
but username not quoted & password quoted), but that's
not a big deal.

> I haven't seen any mention of samba versions in use,
> but if it isn't 2.2.2
> or 2.2.3a then upgrade.

I did upgrade, but it made no difference at all to the
basic error. I've been working with v2.2.1 (which
ships with the latest version of SuSE) and v2.2.3a.

Thank you very much for resplying to my question and
helping me get past this annoying issue.