[Samba] oplock_break and Excel data corruption with Samba 2.2.3a

Federico Sevilla III jijo at leathercollection.ph
Fri Mar 1 07:46:06 GMT 2002

Rudolf,
(cc Samba list)

On Fri, 1 Mar 2002 at 16:03, Rudolf Kliemstein wrote:
> had the same problem except my data didnt corrupt but i couldnt open
> excel97 files.

It's interesting how despite the variety of files with oplock_break
errors, it's only the Microsoft Excel 97 files that ran into these
"corruption" problems. By "corruption" I mean suddenly the file couldn't
be opened because Microsoft Excel 97 would complain that the file was of
an invalid format. The rest of the Excel files are okay, though.

> my problem was solved by setting "nt acl support = no" for that share.
> since you have win95 and samba2.2.3a enables acl by default this could
> be the problem.

It sounds wierd, but I'm jumping at it anyway. "nt acl support" is now
formally a per-share setting. Will it work fine as a global directive as
well?

Thanks. :)

 --> Jijo

Federico Sevilla III  :: jijo at leathercollection.ph
Network Administrator :: The Leather Collection, Inc.
GnuPG Key: http://jijo.leathercollection.ph/jijo.gpg