AW: [Samba] Samba versus Dreamweaver

Keller Nicolas nicolas.keller at slb.de
Fri Jun 14 06:49:03 GMT 2002

Finally... :-)

"""
dos filetimes = yes
dos filetime resolution = yes
dos filemode = yes
fake directory create times = yes
inherit permissions = Yes
"""

...has done the trick! Permissons were all set correctly before (Samba and
FS) but this lines helped me out. It's a little slower than before (?) but
it doesn't matter if only it works for more than one person - and it does
:-)

So thank you very very much & have a nice weekend!

Bye,

Nicolas Keller

Good advice.

You may also need:

dos filetimes = yes
dos filetime resolution = yes
dos filemode = yes
fake directory create times = yes
create mask = 0112
force directory mode = 0775
inherit permissions = Yes

In your SAMBA config.

We do just what you do, SAMBA shares for groups of web authors.
The authors belong to one of about 300 groups, the directories are set owned

by root, group writable by one of these groups and not world accessible at
all. The group sticky bit is set and a Solaris ACL is added to allow the
user
the web server runs as to have read access.

All seems to run quite nicely. Even from Macs that run DAVE.

On Friday 14 Jun 2002 11:39 am, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> Keller Nicolas wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I hope someone can help me with this one:
> >
> > We're using Macromedia Dreamweaver 3 to publish local files from a NT4
> > Server to our internet server running Redhat 7.3 / Samba 2.2.3a. Life
> > could be so sweet but we're facing a strange problem: Users can't
> > _overwrite_ files edited by other users. Everytime someone tries to
> > overwrite such a file the message "An error occurred - cannot put
> > file.xxx. Access is denied." pops up. But they can delete them and this
> > only happens inside Dreamweaver 3, overwriting a file with the normal
> > Windows Explorer isn't a problem. I guess my Samba configuration below
is
> > right and Dreamweaver does some strange things.
>
> It sounds like your problem is the Unix filesystem semantics not Samba.
> To delete a file requires only write access to the *directory* that
> contains that file - no permissions on the file itself are required. To
> overwrite a file would require changing the data in the file, and so
> needs write permission on the *file*. Windows explorer is, I'd guess,
> actually deleting/recreating when you overwrite.
>
> The normal way around this is to set the group ownership of the
> directory to a group that contains all the users you want to have
> access. Then set the SGID bit on the directory. From that point on, all
> files created in that directory will inherit the group ownership of the
> parent directory. Subdirectories will inherit both the group ownership
> of the parent, and the SGID bit. Then you need to ensure that the umask
> is set so that files are created group writeable. You'll (obviously)
> also need to chage the group/permissions on the files that were created
> before you set the SGID bit on the directory.
>
> HTH,
>
> Mike.

- --

Barry Dean