[Samba] Problem printing from win98SE client

Mark Brosius mark at mebrosius.com
Fri Jun 14 06:49:53 GMT 2002

I am trying to print to my HP 722c printer from a Windows 98SE client.  My
Samba server is a Mandrake 8.2 running version 2.2.3a.  I can print from
the linux computer but not from Windows.  I am able to save files to the
shared directory so I know that the networking is okay.

I can open the Printer folder from Windows and I see the Samba printer
there.  I double click on the printer to bring up the queue then I try to
print a test page.  I notice that the file does not appear in the queue.
I have tried changing my path from /var/spool/samba to /tmp but that
didn't seem to work so I changed it back.

I install the printer drivers from the Windows computer and not from the
Samba computer.  If I run smbclient //mark/printer -U[username]%[password]
I can get connected so I think the share is set up correctly.

The only other thing I noticed is that when I log in with the Windows
computer and I try to connect to either the shared printer or to the
shared directory it takes several seconds to display.  Could this be part
of my problem or is it a seperate issue?

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.  Here is my
smb.conf file.  Thanks.

Mark

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2002/06/13 18:44:46

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = K9PC
        netbios name = MARK
        server string = Samba Server %v
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        printcap name = lpstat
        dns proxy = No
        wins support = Yes
        printing = cups
        disable spoolss = yes

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        create mask = 0700
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes
        print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s -r   # using client side printer drivers.
        browseable = No
        lpq command = lpstat -o %p
        lprm command = cancel %p-%j

[elaine]