[Samba] taking ownership

Sven Köhler skoehler at upb.de
Thu Jul 25 06:45:28 GMT 2002

> I'm confused, what does taking ownership really gain us here?

sure.

> Most cases where more than one person needs access to a folder, you use
> groups.  When one person leaves, if permissions are setup correctly, the
> other memebers of the group still have access to the file/folders.

yes - access - meaning rwx - but not changung the ACLs.
if user A and user B have access to files on one share - the ownerships
will be mixed. so only the root will be the man who can change rights
and there is no possibility to priviledge user A so that he is abled too.

> The only case where I think you might have a folder where only ONE person
> has rights is in their home folder, but I think the admin _should_ be
> involved with handing out access to those files.

correct - but if i would allow acces to my home-folder to other users -
i would loose control over files, that other users created because they!
and not me would be abled to change the ACLs of their files within my
home-dir.

> I guess if you're using quotas you would need to keep accurate track of who
> owns what file/folder.  Don't know anything about them so I can't help much
> here.

quota doesn't matter.

> The only purpose for take ownership in the M$ NT world is because there is
> no root account which always has rights.

the point is: POSIX ACLs are crap (compared to Novell and NTFS) -
because they only allow RWX. Taking ownership is the only way to be
abled to change the ACL of a file as a normal user.
But normal users cannot take ownerships of files they don't own. So the
POSIX-ACLs are still unusable for situations where users should be
priviledged to change ACLs within a folder where many people have access.