[Samba] taking ownership

Samba Samba at guidemail.com
Thu Jul 25 04:49:02 GMT 2002

I'm confused, what does taking ownership really gain us here?

Most cases where more than one person needs access to a folder, you use
groups.  When one person leaves, if permissions are setup correctly, the
other memebers of the group still have access to the file/folders.

The only case where I think you might have a folder where only ONE person
has rights is in their home folder, but I think the admin _should_ be
involved with handing out access to those files.

I guess if you're using quotas you would need to keep accurate track of who
owns what file/folder.  Don't know anything about them so I can't help much
here.

The only purpose for take ownership in the M$ NT world is because there is
no root account which always has rights.

Am I totally off base here ??

Josh