[Samba] Win XP Profiles

info info at ssltbivdc.com
Thu Jul 25 00:36:07 GMT 2002

 Please, please  help me.
I am running RH6.2, Samba 2.2.4 and Windows XP (with sign seal patch). Samba
is my PDC.

I want to use roaming profiles and it nearly works except for something
really strange.

When I logon to the Domain as a user and make changes to files etc and then
log out it updates my roaming profile

perfectly on the server.  As the same user if I logon to another machine it
also loads this update profile - perfect. However, when I logon as that user
to its OWN PC (every username also has its own computername) it only opens
the LOCAL profile and never,ever the roaming profile.  I look at the account
set up in Windows and it says its using roaming - but it isn't.  I have
spent ages trying to sort this one out.

 Not one to be just a taker - I was having other problems recently with file
security.  But that was because I upgraded from 95 -98 -XP and had stayed on
Fat32.  I was able to convert to NTFS but using cmd and convert.  Just
thought that may help others.

         add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 100 -s
/bin/false -M %u

        logon script = test.bat
        logon path = \\%L\profiles\%u
        logon drive = m:
        logon home = \\%L\profiles\%u
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 64
        preferred master = True
        domain master = True
        wins support = Yes
[netlogon]
        comment = netlogon share
        path = /netlogon
        guest account =
        browseable = No
 [profiles]
        path = /profiles/%u
        read only = No
        create mask = 0700
        directory mask = 0700
        guest ok = Yes
Also, something weird that I cannot figure out.  On my /profiles directory I
have 2 sub directories to et to my user profile.  Example, username
intramgrs profile is on linux as /profiles/intramgr/intramgr.  When I delete
intramgr completely then it will not create a new profile on the server as
it says the file/directory doesn't exist.  Then I manually mkdir and get
this /profiles/intramgr/intramgr result.

 Has anyone any bright ideas?  Please, please help.

Gerard O'Reilly

Intranet Manager

Siam Stars Limited

Mr. Gerard O'Reilly
Intranet Manager
Siam Stars Ltd/ Thai-Belgium Industrial Co. Ltd
21/6 Moo 3, Soi Kayha Bangbua,
Viphavadee Rangsit Road,
60 Talad Bangkhen,
Laksi Bangkok 10210