[Samba] Samba + VPN + W98

Joerg Lenneis lenneis at wu-wien.ac.at
Wed Jul 24 10:18:02 GMT 2002

Andrew Cuthbertson:

> I think it is possible to do it this way. Unless anyone knows otherwise.
> If you have a linux machine with a real IP on your office network then
> you can run a PPTP server (www.poptop.org). If your samba server acts as
> a wins server on your office network and you tell pptp the wins server
> then when you dialin it should register you to the wins server and
> everyone should see you in the office and you should be able to see
> everyone in the office.

> Andy C

[...]

This method works, it can be pretty tricky to set up, though. There is
a pretty good HOWTO covering what needs to be done. Pay special
attention that all gateways between your home machine and the office
machine support the GRE protocol and you'll also have to upgrade the
dial up networking under Windows 98.

Alternatively, you could use CIPE, an encrypted VPN tunnel that
uses UDP as a protocol, which is much easier to set up. There is a
drawback, unfortunately: The Windows client (also open source) only
runs under Windows NT/2000. Check
http://sites.inka.de/sites/bigred/devel/cipe.html for details.

--

Joerg Lenneis