[Samba] nis+ password conversion for samba 2.4

Patricia Nalle pfnalle at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 23 13:15:02 GMT 2002

I've just installed Samba 2.2.4 on a Solaris 8
machine.
We NIS+ and I'm trying to avoid doing a
smbpasswd -a for each of my users.
I saw some info on doing a cat /etc/passwd
and piping it through mksmbpasswd to the
private/smbpasswd file.  This didn't work. I tried it
with the shadow file as well as doing a nisaddent and
taking the dump of my nis+ password file and running
it through the mksmbpasswd password.  None of these
worked.  I saw that there was a ypcat, but is there
something that can be used with NIS+ specifically?

If not, if I want Samba to authenticate using my NIS+
master, do I need to install Samba on that machine as
well?  Are there instructions for all the NIS+
parameters for the smb.conf if I have to do it that
way?  Currently, samba is installed on one of my NIS+
clients only.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.