[Samba] long username - netlogon problem - access denied

robert at zilcoski.com robert at zilcoski.com
Fri Jul 19 12:24:02 GMT 2002

I'm running samba 2.2.4 on rh 7.2.  Everything's been working well
for months.

I use the domain logon feature to map drives when '98 users logon
to the domain.

Recently I've had a couple machines refuse to process the logon
script and I can't figure out why.

Here's the Windows output:

C:\WINDOWS> Access denied  - Z:\ALEXA~03.BAT

C:\WINDOWS> Access denied  - Z:\ALEXA~03.BAT

C:\WINDOWS> Access denied  - Z:\ALEXA~03.BAT

C:\WINDOWS> Access denied  - Z:\ALEXA~03.BAT

I've tried putting PAUSE as the first command in the batch file.  It
never gets there...

I've made sure file permissions are not an issue.  The logon script
file is owned by that user (and the group 'dos').

The directory data55 has been chowned by 'dos' with -R
The directory has been chmod'ed with -R 2770

A friend suggested using shorter (under 9 letter) user names as a
test, and this is a good workaround.

I have finally narrowed it down (I think) to the fact that these
affected machines have problems logging in with usernames longer
than 8 characters, (although they didn't used to).
I have two usernames that are long that both cause troubles on the
'bad' '98s: administrator and alexandra.  Both usernames can log in
fine from several other Win'98 machines on the network.  Plugging
a 'good' Win'98 machine into the same cat 5 cable as a broken one
does not break it.

Creating user names of admin and az was the workaround.  I'm just
wondering why the long usernames suddenly stopped working -- on
some machines and not others!!!

Here's some (hopefully) relevent smb.conf entries:

Some of the commented stuff is stuff I've tried to use the resolve
the problem, no joy!

This is the only domain controller on the network.  Everything else
is Win '98's (about 10 boxes) and a Win-ME.

[global]
netbios name=r100
workgroup=MYWORKGROUP
encrypt passwords=yes
wins support=yes
domain master=yes
domain logons=yes
security=user
time server=yes
server string=r100
logon script=%U.bat
#hosts allow=127.0.0.1, 192.168.1. EXCEPT 192.168.1.250,
192.168.1.253, 192.168.1.254
#name resolve order = hosts
read size = 8192
#dos filetimes = yes
#fake directory create times = yes
#dos filetime resolution = yes
#delete readonly = yes

[netlogon]
path=/data55/dos/netlogon
case sensitive=no
#follow symlinks=yes
read only=yes
guest ok=no
write list=administrator
browseable = no

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and why it
only affects a couple of machines (out of many), while the other
Windows '98 machines process the login script just fine for the
long usernames.  It's been very irritating.

Thanks in advance for any insights anyone can provide.

I've searched everywhere and haven't found a solution.

P.S. I believe this isn't a password issue, since entering a bad
password will not get you far enough for the login script console
window to open on the '98 box.  (Where the access denied
messages start scrolling)

PPS, If I re-do (reload the entire OS) on the Win'98 box, the
problem is fixed.  I just hate to have a problem where the only
solution is to redo the '98 box.

Thanks!
-Robert