[Samba] Re: [Samba] long username - netlogon problem - access denied

Dave J. Andruczyk dandruczyk at enterpriserp.com
Sat Jul 20 07:10:03 GMT 2002

> I'm running samba 2.2.4 on rh 7.2.  Everything's been working well  for
> months.
>
> I use the domain logon feature to map drives when '98 users logon  to
> the domain.
>
> Recently I've had a couple machines refuse to process the logon
>script and I can't figure out why.
>
> Here's the Windows output:
>
> C:\WINDOWS> Access denied  - Z:\ALEXA~03.BAT
>
> C:\WINDOWS> Access denied  - Z:\ALEXA~03.BAT
>
> C:\WINDOWS> Access denied  - Z:\ALEXA~03.BAT
>
> C:\WINDOWS> Access denied  - Z:\ALEXA~03.BAT
>
> I've tried putting PAUSE as the first command in the batch file.  It
> never gets there...
>
> I've made sure file permissions are not an issue.  The logon script
> file is owned by that user (and the group 'dos').
>
> The directory data55 has been chowned by 'dos' with -R
> The directory has been chmod'ed with -R 2770
>
> A friend suggested using shorter (under 9 letter) user names as a
> test, and this is a good workaround.
>
> I have finally narrowed it down (I think) to the fact that these
> affected machines have problems logging in with usernames longer
> than 8 characters, (although they didn't used to).
> I have two usernames that are long that both cause troubles on the
> 'bad' '98s: administrator and alexandra.  Both usernames can log in
> fine from several other Win'98 machines on the network.  Plugging  a
> 'good' Win'98 machine into the same cat 5 cable as a broken one  does
> not break it.

I'll bet one of the working ones is Win98 OEM SR2, Its version number should
be 4.10.2110 (or close to that), The one that is giving you trouble probably
is 4.10.1998 (Win98 original edition)  I've seen that problem also with
Win95 vs Win95a vs Win95b and Win95B.

Its a bug/limitation in the early Win9x redirectors  I think (I might be
wrong about the part, but it is a limitation nonetheless)