[Samba] Re: Can't print, but can see printers

Norman Walsh ndw at nwalsh.com
Thu Jul 18 03:33:01 GMT 2002

/ Norman Walsh <ndw at nwalsh.com> was heard to say:
| I'm running "Samba 2.2.3a-6 for Debian" and I've been largely
| successful setting it up. I have one curious problem remaining. My
| wife's Windows laptop (running XP Home), can see the printer on the
| server (it apparently succeeds in connecting to it and initializing
| its view of the queue), but it doesn't print. Jobs sent to it just
| vanish into the ether.

After more fiddling (with some helpful suggestions, thanks!) and more
googling, things have changed, but not really improved. I can print to
the printer from other linux boxes. I have the right drivers installed
on the XP box. Now when I print a test page from the XP box, I see the
job get transferred to the queue *on the XP box*, but the job never
shows up in /var/spool/samba (which is chmod 777).

Here's my smb.conf:

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from mercury.nwalsh.com (192.168.1.100)
# Date: 2002/07/17 22:39:15

# Global parameters
[global]
	server string = %h server (Samba %v)
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	obey pam restrictions = Yes
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .
	syslog = 0
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	max log size = 1000
	printcap name = lpstat
	domain master = True
	dns proxy = No
	wins support = Yes
	invalid users = root
	printing = cups

[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
	read only = No
	create mask = 0644
	directory mask = 0775

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /tmp
	read only = No
	create mask = 0777
	guest ok = Yes
	printable = Yes
	browseable = No

[cdrom]
	comment = Samba server's CD-ROM
	path = /cdrom
	guest ok = Yes
	locking = No
	exec = /bin/mount /cdrom
	postexec = /bin/umount /cdrom

[deskjet]
	comment = Norm's DeskJet
	path = /var/spool/samba
	read only = No
	create mask = 0777
	guest ok = Yes
	printable = Yes
	print command = lpr -P %p -o raw %s -r
	lpq command = lpstat -o %p
	lprm command = cancel %p-%j
	printer name = deskjet
	use client driver = Yes
	oplocks = No

[Music]
	path = /share/Music

Any way I can get more debugging messages?

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw at nwalsh.com> | The irrational is not necessarily