[Samba] my printers are still paused in Win2k and WinNT 4.0

Van Sickler, Jim vansickj-eodc at Kaman.com
Wed Jul 17 17:17:03 GMT 2002

Ain't this fun?!?  :-(

I might have missed a clue - is the printer saying it's Paused,
or the last job printed saying that it's Paused after being printed?

:done_jobs=0 relates to the printed job, not the printer...

Do you have guest ok=yes in the printer's subsection
in smb.conf?

  e.g.
[HP4Plus]
	guest ok=yes

or

[Printers]
	guest ok=yes

>  I also have some more interesting data for the problem
> 	1.)The HP 4m printer all of a sudden started to work it showed
> "ready"!! I come back about 5 mins later and it showed
> "pause" again????
> This means other print jobs on the printer are affecting the
> samba print queue...

See if it shows Paused when it's in Power Save mode, and
Ready when it's in Ready mode.

If the JetDirects are 10/100, try setting them to 10MHz/Half Duplex
and see if it changes anything.  100Base-TX Full Duplex doesn't
do much ack/nack'ing, IIRC.

> 	2.) I have switched everything over to tcp 9100 and
> back again to
> lpd after testing the done_jobs parm still no fix.....

I've used both-9100 may enable Bi-Directional comms; raw
doesn't, IIRC.

> 	3.)  I have never printed a job on this server it is a test. I
> figured that print_jobs=0 means that lprng keept old jobs
> around to so I
> cleared out all of the queues and reset up the printers. again paused
> printer,, With no print jobs ????

That's what made me think about whether the printer status was Paused,
and not the print job...

> 	4.) Is CUPS better for communicating status info with
> samba? I would
> hate to switch to CUPS since CUPS looks more complicated.

Me too...

> 	5.) is there a way to get samba to kick out more
> detailed info about
> the printer status( or what it thinks is the printer status).

Kick the log level up to 3 for more, up to 10 for a LOT more...

> 	6.) I am checking the status by double clicking on the computer.
> then the printers share on that computer. I then click on a
> printer and wait
> for the refresh on my win2k to say ready or fail....

Were these printers installed when using an older version of
samba?  If so, try adding "disable spoolss=yes"
and "use client driver=yes" to [Global] in smb.conf
then restart samba and see if they're still flaky.

Jim