[Samba] w2k, adding printers and other questions.

daniel.jarboe at custserv.com daniel.jarboe at custserv.com
Wed Jul 17 10:10:03 GMT 2002

RH 7.2, samba 2.2.5-1 installed via RPM.  Using winbind.  I'm trying to
see how much remote printer administration is possible from a w2k box,
and I'm having a few problems, several are probably related.  HELP!

Few quick questions first, before the 2 big questions:

Not sure if it was necessary, but I put root = myNTlogin in smbusers
file.  Is that completely wrong/pointless?

For the [Printer] share, shouldn't values in that propogate to the
printers?  I used to have a [Printer] share defined with a path... but
testparm warned that since no path was defined for the printer shares
that it would use /tmp instead.

Also, with winbind, is it sufficient to use myNTuser when specifying
printer admin?  Or do I need something like MY_DOMAIN_NAME+myNTuser ?

I'm getting a lot of these errors in winbindd.log:
[2002/07/17 12:21:39, 1] nsswitch/winbindd_user.c:winbindd_getpwnam(120)
  user 'nobody' does not exist
In smbusers I have: nobody = guest pcguest smbguest.  How can I resolve
this issue?

Big Question #1:
I started off with samba 2.2.1a in security=share mode.
I could connect to a printer defined like:
[tcsltst1]
   comment = Aficio 700 - don't use, need driver installed
   printable = Yes
   printer = tcsltst1
   path=/var/spool/samba
and then install the driver locally from disk.

Printers defined with the "print driver" worked better, I didn't have to
specify or install the driver manually.

Since then I upgraded to 2.2.5-1, am in security=domain mode, and am
using winbind.  If I try to remove the printer I had added earlier I
get:  Printer Cannot be Removed, Access is Denied.  This is not the case
for other shares which had specified the depreciated "printer driver"
option.  Nothing shows up in the machine log.

 Again, if I do the same thing for a printer with the Also, if I rename
the share on the linux box to [tcsltst4], for example, but leave
everything else the same to try to Add the networked printer to the w2k
box I another error: "You do not have sufficient access to your machine
to connect to the selected printer."  Nothing shows up in the machine
log.  What used to happen is windows would let install the driver i
needed from disk. depreciated "printer driver" option, it adds it just fine.

So I have a few problems here, can't add new printers without drivers
(maybe setting up print$ will fix this, that is Big Question #2), and I
cannot for the life of me delete tcsltst1 on my w2k box though I'd
really like to.

-----------------------

Big Question #2:

I created a /usr/local/samba/printers folder with all the W32X86 etc
subdirectories.  Here is my new smb.conf:
netbios name = BLAH
winbind uid = 10000-20000
winbind gid = 10000-20000
winbind separator = +
workgroup= BLAH_DOM
server string = Samba Server on BLAH
log level = 1
printcap name = /etc/printcap
load printers = yes
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
security = domain
password server = blahpdc1 blahpdc2 blahpdc3
interfaces = aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd/24
domain master = no
wins support = no
wins server = eee.fff.ggg.hhh
dns proxy = no
[print$]
  path = /usr/local/samba/printers
  browseable = yes
  read only = yes
  write list = root, myNTuser
[tcsltst2]
    comment = Cover Page HP LaserJet IIISi
    printable = Yes
    printer = tcsltst2
    printer driver = HP LaserJet IIISi
    printer admin = root, myNTuser
    path = /var/spool/samba
[tcsltst4]
   comment = Aficio 700 - don't use, need driver installed
   printable = Yes
   printer = tcsltst1
   path=/var/spool/samba
   printer admin = root, myNTuser

Going to \\BLAH the first time after the server restarts and each
printer shows up, but the Printers configuration folder doesn't show up
the first time.
If I connect to \\BLAH again though, the Printers configuration folder
is there (and remains until I restart the server again)
I open Printers
Select Properties for the printer I've selected
Select the Sharing Tab, and Additional Drivers is grayed out

You can see I have the print$ share, and I created the directories.
 What more needs to be done?

Thank you for anyone who can help at all, this is becoming really
frustrating
~ Daniel