[Samba] w2k, adding printers and other questions.

Gerald Carter jerry at samba.org
Fri Jul 26 08:12:44 GMT 2002

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002 daniel.jarboe at custserv.com wrote:

> Not sure if it was necessary, but I put root = myNTlogin in smbusers
> file.  Is that completely wrong/pointless?

"printer admin = myNTlogin" and giving write access to that
account to the [print$] share is good enough.

> For the [Printer] share, shouldn't values in that propogate to the
> printers?  I used to have a [Printer] share defined with a path... but
> testparm warned that since no path was defined for the printer shares
> that it would use /tmp instead.

printer/driver information needed by NT/2k clients is stored separately
for each printer in nt*/tdb in $(lockdir)

> Also, with winbind, is it sufficient to use myNTuser when specifying
> printer admin?  Or do I need something like MY_DOMAIN_NAME+myNTuser ?

The latter.

> I'm getting a lot of these errors in winbindd.log:
> [2002/07/17 12:21:39, 1] nsswitch/winbindd_user.c:winbindd_getpwnam(120)
>   user 'nobody' does not exist
> In smbusers I have: nobody = guest pcguest smbguest.  How can I resolve
> this issue?

Create a 'nobody' account.

> Big Question #1:
> I started off with samba 2.2.1a in security=share mode.
> I could connect to a printer defined like:
> [tcsltst1]
>    comment = Aficio 700 - don't use, need driver installed
>    printable = Yes
>    printer = tcsltst1
>    path=/var/spool/samba
> and then install the driver locally from disk.
>
> Printers defined with the "print driver" worked better, I didn't have to
> specify or install the driver manually.

share mode swecurity will not work corrcetly with point-and-print.

> Since then I upgraded to 2.2.5-1, am in security=domain mode, and am
> using winbind.  If I try to remove the printer I had added earlier I
> get:  Printer Cannot be Removed, Access is Denied.  This is not the case
> for other shares which had specified the depreciated "printer driver"
> option.  Nothing shows up in the machine log.

Remove it from the server?  You need a "deleteprinter command" for that.
See the smb,.conf(5) man pages.

>  Again, if I do the same thing for a printer with the Also, if I rename
> the share on the linux box to [tcsltst4], for example, but leave

Did you forget to type something here?

> everything else the same to try to Add the networked printer to the w2k
> box I another error: "You do not have sufficient access to your machine
> to connect to the selected printer."  Nothing shows up in the machine
> log.  What used to happen is windows would let install the driver i
> needed from disk. depreciated "printer driver" option, it adds it just
> fine.

Did you add the drivers on the server?  Or just on the client?
Make sure you reread the printing HOWTO.

> Going to \\BLAH the first time after the server restarts and each
> printer shows up, but the Printers configuration folder doesn't show up
> the first time. If I connect to \\BLAH again though, the Printers
> configuration folder is there (and remains until I restart the server
> again) I open Printers Select Properties for the printer I've selected
> Select the Sharing Tab, and Additional Drivers is grayed out

This would be a timeout on the spools pipe.  If it takes a long time
to gather the queue information, you might see this.  Try increasing the
"lpq cache time" in smb.conf

cheers, jerry