[Samba] Samba on OpenBSD 3.1

Savage, Elijah elijah_savage at reyrey.com
Wed Jul 17 08:47:02 GMT 2002

I have installed samba on openbsd 3.1 with a pkg_add and everything went
fine but for some reason it seems as if the executable to start samba is not
there, what am I missing here is the install docs I followed but still can't
get it started. Smbd and nmbd is under /usr/local/libexec but samba will not
start.

http://nomoa.com/bsd/samba.htm <http://nomoa.com/bsd/samba.htm>

packagedInstalling the Packaged Version

[package: samba-2.0.7.tgz (available on cd-distribution and OpenBSD ftp
mirrors)]
[ref: Samba Book available from http://www.samba.org <http://www.samba.org>
]

Install the package using pkg_add

# pkg_add /[path-to-package]/samba-2.0.7.tgz

The samba package will be installed and you may wish to copy one of the
sample configuration files as a starter for your samba setup. For example:

# cp /usr/local/lib/samba/smb.conf.sample /etc/samba/smb.conf

The quickest way to start samba is to launch the daemons manually:

# /usr/local/sbin/smbd -D
# /usr/local/sbin/nmbd -D

Although we don't want to be frustrated with having to do that manually
everytime we start the computer, it is a good way to test whether the
installation files did get installed.

(note that samba-2.2.1a in OpenBSD 3.0 locates the smbd/nmbd files in
/usr/local/libexec)