[Samba] Controlling Samba with xinetd

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Mon Jul 15 17:29:02 GMT 2002

Why don't you try it and tell us what happens?
Thinking about it, it sounds like a bad idea. smbd spawns copies of itself
to handle each request. So, if there are 10 people logged on to one share
each, I think you would find 10 copies of smbd running.
Sound inefficient, I know. And, I don't see how inetd would improve things.
Here is what I have right now:

[root at jhammer6 jlh]# ps ax | grep smbd
 1482 ?        S      0:00 smbd -D <--This is the pid in smbd.pid
 2179 ?        S     16:58 smbd -D
 6668 ?        S      0:00 smbd -D
 6939 ?        S      0:00 smbd -D

With smbstatus:

Samba version 2.2.1a
Service      uid      gid      pid     machine
Backup       root     root      2179   hammer2  (192.168.0.2) Sun Jul 14 22:23:08 2002
public       ftp      ftp       6939   jhammer6 (192.168.0.6) Mon Jul 15 20:21:14 2002
public       ftp      ftp       6668   hammer8  (192.168.0.8) Mon Jul 15 19:43:38 2002

Joel