[Samba] Controlling Samba with xinetd

Freeman, Peter (ERHS) Freeman.Peter at saugov.sa.gov.au
Mon Jul 15 17:47:02 GMT 2002

>Why don't you try it and tell us what happens?
>Thinking about it, it sounds like a bad idea. smbd spawns
>copies of itself
>to handle each request. So, if there are 10 people logged on
>to one share
>each, I think you would find 10 copies of smbd running.
>Sound inefficient, I know. And, I don't see how inetd would
>improve things.

Currently we have a samba box running around 70 concurrent users,
the smbd process count is quite high (50 or so), so you raise
a very good point.

I think the original question that I was asked revolved around
maybe improving the HA aspect of samba by using inetd, just bouncing
it off the list to see if anyone else had the same thought or had
already tried it.