Automatic driver downloads (was: [Samba] [semi-ot] Printing w/ NT, automated driver download and modifying printer settings)

Jesse Becker jbecker at fryed.net
Wed Jul 10 11:34:16 GMT 2002

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Gerald Carter wrote:

> Sounds like you did not read the HOWTO.  It says to click "no" if you are
> installing the drivers on the server.

Now that I have the box in front of me, perhaps I can explain what
happens.  As a general rule, I always read HOWTOs, mailing lists and other
documentation before posting.

> On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, Jesse Becker wrote:
>
> > What I cannot do is twofold:
> >
> > 1)  Automatically download drivers to clients.  When I try to add the
> > printer, I get a pop-up box reading:
> >
> > 	"The server on which the printer resides does not have the correct
> > 	printer driver installed.  If you want to install the driver on
> > 	your local computer, click OK."
> >
> > On clicking OK, you get the usual 'add printer wizard' dialogue box, and
> > if I choose, I can add the correct drivers.

I have already uploaded the drivers to the Samba server, and they have
been copied into \\$print\W32X86\* as appropriate.  This was done by
choosing the "no" option from the dialogue box I mentioned above.  As I
said, this appears to work correctly.

Now, when I try to install this printer for use on a computer--either the
same windows box used to upload the drivers, or a different one--the
problems start.

On the Windows box, using Either the "Add Printer" icon in the
Printers folder, or simply dragging the printer icon from the Samba
printers share, I get a message
	"The server on which the printer resides does not have the correct
	printer driver installed.  If you want to install the driver on
	your local computer, click OK."
Clicking "Cancel"  stops the process completely, and clicking "OK" prompts
me for the driver location.

If I choose the "Properties" option for the printer icon located on the
Samba server share, I get this message:
	"Device settings cannot be displayed.  The driver for the
	specified printer is not installed.  Only spooler properties will
	be displayed.  Do you want to install the driver now?"
Clicking "No" displays just the spooler properties.  Clicking "Yes" brings
up the "Add printer driver wizard", and prompts for a driver location.

In the spooler properties window, under the "Advanced" tab, I *ALREADY*
have the printer drivers listed.  Remember, this is *after* uploading the
drivers to the server (or so I thought).  When I try to select the driver
from the list, and hit "apply"  I then get a small pop-up box reading:
	"Printer settings could not be saved. Access is denied."
There is only an "OK" button.

Furthermore, if I choose the "Server Properties" context menu option from
the Printers share on the Samba server, the "Drivers" tab shows all the
drivers that I have installed.

So, I'm going to try again, but hopefully that clarifies the problem a
bit. :-/

--Jesse

P.S.  I don't mean to come off sounding displeased--just frustrated.  I'm
actually very happy with Samba. :)