[Samba] Resolution Re: Automatic driver downloads

Jesse Becker jbecker at fryed.net
Wed Jul 10 18:43:02 GMT 2002

In a display of terrible form, I'll reply to my own message with the
results of my second foray into the world of printer driver downloads.

The problem turned out to be both a Samba, CUPS, and PPD issue.

System refresher:  Samba 2.2.5, HP4550N printer, and Win2K clients.

Step 1)  Start with a (mostly) clean slate.  I stopped Samba and
CUPS, moved /var/cache/samba to /var/cache/samba.old (just in in case),
and nuked /etc/samba/drivers/*.  I kept my existing shares, [printers] and
[print$] settings.

Step 2)  Reread, and followed, the printer_driver2.txt file.  After
messing with permissions a bit, I got the drivers to correctly upload and
download to the Win2K clients.  However, nothing would actually print with
those drivers.

Step 3)  I tried using the HP postscript drivers (from lj598.exe on their
website), as well as ones from lj602.exe that support PCL5 and 6, as well
as postscript.  After much trial and more error, I scrapped them all, and
used Adobe's generic Postscript printer driver.  This was uploaded to the
samba server, and downloaded to the clients.

Step 4)  Test the printers...and it works! <cheer>  But only in black and
white <boo> (the 4550 is a color laserjet printer--very nice).

Step 5)  Here, the problem turned out to be CUPS--I think.  The .ppd file
that was being used by both CUPS, and that was being fed to the clients
simply didn't grok color (or I couldn't get it to, one of the two...).  I
grabbed a new .ppd that was developed in part by HP from http://hp.sf.net,
and manually placed that on the server in place of the old .ppd files.  I
also replaced the one CUPS was using as well (just to be safe).  Restarted
everything, and nuked/redownloaded the drivers for the windows clients.

Step 6)  Print.  It works.  I have several wonderful printouts of images
from http://www.irtc.org adorning my walls now. :-)

Thanks to people who emailed me.

--Jesse