Automatic driver downloads (was: [Samba] [semi-ot] Printing w/ NT, automated driver download and modifying printer settings)

Jesse Becker jbecker at fryed.net
Wed Jul 10 10:42:02 GMT 2002

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Gerald Carter wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, Jesse Becker wrote:
>
> > What I cannot do is twofold:
> >
> > 1)  Automatically download drivers to clients.  When I try to add the
> > printer, I get a pop-up box reading:
> >
> > 	"The server on which the printer resides does not have the correct
> > 	printer driver installed.  If you want to install the driver on
> > 	your local computer, click OK."
> >
> > On clicking OK, you get the usual 'add printer wizard' dialogue box, and
> > if I choose, I can add the correct drivers.
>
> Sounds like you did not read the HOWTO.  It says to click "no" if you are
> installing the drivers on the server.

Actually, I did read the HOWTO, and that part specifically several times.
I've done it both ways, and the result is the same.  The problem is *NOT*
adding the drivers to the server--that works correctly, and the samba
server sees and reports them correctly.  Instead, I think the problem has
to do with downloading the drivers from the server to the client, and also
some strange permissions problem.  I'm going to scrap the whole thing and
start from scratch later today

--Jesse