[Samba] WINS problems

Pablo Marques pmarques at herald.com
Fri Jul 5 08:50:03 GMT 2002

Pablo Marques wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I am using samba 2.2.5 with Redhat 7.2 and winbind on several machines.
> Our pdc is NT 4.0
>
> Suddenly, I see a lot of the following in the log files:
>
> connect_to_client: Can't resolve address for XXXXXXX
>
> where XXXXX is the netbios name of the window workstation.
>
> wbinfo -N XXXXXXX
> returns:
> Could not lookup WINS by name XXXXXXX
>
> If I ping XXXXXX from a windows machine it returns the correct
> IP address.
> We are using a WINS server. And all the Windows machines register to it
> on boot.
>
> A peculiar thing is that XXXXXX is always either a windows 2000 or a
> windows XP workstation!!!
>
> Does my WINS server have a corrupted database?
> Does anybody know what is happening to us?
>
> Pablo
>
> My smb.conf is as follows:
>
> [global]
>         workgroup = MINE
>         interfaces = eth0
>         security = DOMAIN
>         encrypt passwords = Yes
>         password server = *
>         pam password change = Yes
>         log level = 2
>         log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
>         socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
>         preferred master = False
>         local master = No
>         domain master = False
>         dns proxy = No
>         wins server = 192.168.250.30
>         winbind uid = 1000-2000
>         winbind gid = 1000-2000
>         template shell = /bin/bash
>         winbind separator = +
>         winbind enum users = yes
>         winbind enum groups = yes
>         printing = cups
>
> [printers]
>         comment = All Printers
>         path = /var/spool/samba
>         guest ok = Yes
>         printable = Yes
>         browseable = No
>
> [print$]
>         path = /home/printers

Further investigation:

When I query the WINS server with winbind:
$ wbinfo -N XXXXX
the query goes to the WINS Server asking for XXXXXX          <20> (Server
Service)

If I query the WINS from a windows machine:
c:\>ping XXXXX
the query goes to the WINS Server asking for XXXXXX         <00>
(Workstation/Redirector)
And it always gets and answer from the WINS server.

Looking at the WINS database in the server, I can see that only some
machines  (Servers??) have a <20> entry.

The end result is that samba cannot resolve successfully machine names.
Anybody connecting from any machine samba is unable to resolve, will
connect to my Linux servers as nobody!!!

Does anybody knows what's wrong here?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Pablo