[Samba] WINS problems

Pablo Marques pmarques at herald.com
Wed Jul 3 15:00:06 GMT 2002

Hi:

I am using samba 2.2.5 with Redhat 7.2 and winbind on several machines.
Our pdc is NT 4.0

Suddenly, I see a lot of the following in the log files:

connect_to_client: Can't resolve address for XXXXXXX

where XXXXX is the netbios name of the window workstation.

wbinfo -N XXXXXXX
returns:
Could not lookup WINS by name XXXXXXX

If I ping XXXXXX from a windows machine it returns the correct
IP address.
We are using a WINS server. And all the Windows machines register to it
on boot.

A peculiar thing is that XXXXXX is always either a windows 2000 or a
windows XP workstation!!!

Does my WINS server have a corrupted database?
Does anybody know what is happening to us?

Pablo

My smb.conf is as follows:

[global]
        workgroup = MINE