[Samba] win 2k logon problem

Tyler Durdin linuxgeek23 at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 3 17:58:03 GMT 2002

I have a network that is on a domain called administration. I have been
setting up a new network for the computers on Administration that will run
on a domain called ohioprincipals (controlled by a Samba Primary Domain
Controller). The administration domain is run on an NT4 server and all of
the clients are Windows 2000 machines. I have my new network pretty much up
and ready to switch over. My first test was on a windows 2000 machine that
was on the NT4 administration network. I ran the network ID wizard under My
Computer--Identification and put in all of the relevant info to join my new
domain (had to change the computer name). Everything seemed to go okay and
it told me to restart the computer. When I restarted the computer I got the
win 2k logon screen with a choice of logon to the new computer name or the
new domain. I selected the new domain put in my information and clicked
enter. Everything went okay until all of the sudden i got an error message
that said something like windows could not locate your profile ERROR: Access
Denied. So I tried connecting a computer that was NOT on the previous
network (administration) and everything worked perfectly and I logged right
on w/no error message. So, now I am thinking there may be a problem with the
Windows 2000 machine because it was already on another domain (and
controlled by another primary domain controller). It will not even let me
log into the computer at all. When i try logging into the network I get that
error message, when i try logging on with the new computer name instead of
the domain (those are my only 2 choices) none of the username and passwords
are accepted. I must say I am stumped. Is there anyway to fix this? If not
is there anyway to get the files off of the drive or anyway around the login
screen? If anyone can point me in the right direction or just tell me what i
need to do i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.