automatically setting up printer drivers on clients (new style)

Nick Pietraniec nickp at campbellco.com
Mon Jan 28 05:51:04 GMT 2002

On Sat, 2002-01-26 at 20:15, Bryan Fetzer wrote:
> What you should do is install the printer on your
> > computer and them
> > access the share dialogue from there...  Not by
> > browsing to it.  I
> > originally installed the drivers from a 2k box, and
> > I did have a little
> > trouble adding different drivers.  I ended up
> > installing the printer on
> > a NT4 box and adding the NT4 drivers from there.
> > Everything works great
> > now.
> ------by installing it on your local machine and then
> manipulating the share from there, you are not working
> with the share on the server, but you are actually
> sharing it from the local machine. by not browesing to
> it,
>
> Unless I'm reading this incorrectly. Can you now go to
> any other nt4/win2k client and click on the printer
> and have it install automatically?

I don't fully understand why this is, but yes, you read correctly.  I
installed the printer on one of my workstations and then added drivers
via the sharing tab.  It prompted me for the NT CD and uploaded the
drivers to the share on the samba box (I could see the path they were
being copied to.)  I just checked out the shares on the workstation that
I did this from, and there is no printer share...  And, yes, you read
correctly.  I can now go to any other NT4/win2k client, click on the
printer, and have it install automatically (I just tried again) ;)

-Nick