2.2.2 Release incredibly broken?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Jan 7 14:12:04 GMT 2002

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 10:05:22PM -0000, Noel Kelly wrote:
> I have had to disable oplocks also in 2.2.2 after seeing a lot of errors in
> the logs and having smbds which become unkillable.  I thought I had solved
> that latter one when I got rid of the oplocks and recompiled everything
> (2.2.20 kernel, samba 2.2.2, ACLs) but today we had another instance when
> underload (about 40 users).  This means the raid array cannot be unmounted
> and we have to shudown and reboot messily and then check all the disks etc.
> Not impressive.
>
> I am going to move on to 3.0 beta and run that in our production
> envrironment - what is there to lose now ?  I just hope I can get it working
> so it is relatively stable.

That is a little radical. Currently the SAMBA_2_2 CVS Tree is
being prepared for release as 2.2.3, and has fixes for (hopefully
all) of the bugs the original poster and you are having problems
with.

Please test it out and give us feedback ASAP if it doesn't fix
things, as we're in the process of doing Q/A before final release.

Jeremy.