[Samba] Newbie

Blanchard, Michael MBlanchard at grandaire.com
Fri Feb 22 08:12:08 GMT 2002

I'm still a relative newbie, so I'll tell ya what I did to learn.

www.google.com has all your answers.  It's easier than going through samba.org digging up stuff.  I find out everything from how do join a domain, to how to activate winbind, to how to setup shares.  The smb.conf file is a pretty good resource.  The BIG BIG BIG problem with it, is that it's like 5+ years old and hasn't been updated.  The "domain controller" thing was removed, and they never added in the stuff for winbind.  So you have to scour everywhere trying to find stuff on what the heck winbind is first off, then find out how to activate it.  Man pages are nice, but there are some very good pages on how to use it.  Also, there are some reference guides on redhat.com for 7.2 that even if you don't use redhat, they are very helpful.  Good luck!  And this list is also very helpful, although I've found google's response is quicker.