[Samba] Samba PDC and MSN Messenger

Marcel Kunath kunathma at pilot.msu.edu
Thu Feb 21 13:52:50 GMT 2002

Hello,

I run a Samba 2.2.3a server with XP clients successfully. I am aware of the
fact that XP

restricts access to some of its users (local) in regards to some programs. I am
unsure which

programs these are but MSN Messenger might be one of them. I think I heard
guest users are

not allowed to use MSN Messenger under XP by default.

Now I have trouble to get MSN Messenger to start under XP for certain users:

Administrator (local) can start MSN Messenger.
marcel (domain user and domain admin group member) can start MSN Messenger.
anna (domain user) cannot start MSN Messenger.
guest (guest domain user) cannot start MSN Messenger.

I have had a look at the registry options, the file executable permissions, the
local

security policies set on the XP machine and web sites but I cannot find a way
to give access

to all user for MSN Messenger or another messaging service like Yahoo Pager.

I included some data I have collected from my setup at the end of the email.

(Note: domain user 'marcel' is in the group "ntadmin" and I could add all my
other users to

this group to make them able to start MSN Messenger but I would remove any
security and file

protections from the XP machine therefore since all users then become
administrators.)

Thanks for the help,

Marcel

Permissions on local box:

c:\program files\messenger\msmsgsin.exe:

  administrator(local/administrators) full
  everyone read/execute, read
  power users (local/power users) modify,read/execute,read,write
  system full
  users (local/users) read/execute,read

c:\program files\messenger\msmsgs.exe:

  administrator(local/administrators) full
  everyone read/execute, read
  power users (local/power users) modify,read/execute,read,write
  system full
  users (local/users) read/execute,read

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\windows messenger: (a
shortcut)

  target: "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe"

  start in: %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%

  administrator(local/administrators) full
  everyone read/execute, read
  power users (local/power users) modify,read/execute,read,write
  system full
  users (local/users) read/execute,read

Local Security Policy:

Network access: Let Everyone permissions apply to anonymous users. ENABLED

registry entries for hkey_local_machine/software/microsoft/messenger_service
have been

untouched.

# cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
[global]
        workgroup = MYWORKGROUP
        netbios name = MAIL
        server string = Samba %v on %L
        interfaces = 192.168.1.1/24 127.0.0.0/24
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        update encrypted = Yes
        null passwords = Yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat debug = Yes
        unix password sync = Yes
        log file = /var/log/samba-log.%m
        time server = Yes
        keepalive = 30
        domain admin group = @ntadmin
        logon script = %U.bat
        logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
        logon drive = z:
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 33
        preferred master = True
        domain master = True
        kernel oplocks = No
        guest account = guest
        hosts allow = 192.168.1., 127.
        printing = lprng
        print command = /usr/bin/lpr -P%p -r %s
        lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -P%p
        lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -P%p %j
        lppause command = /usr/sbin/lpc hold %p %j
        lpresume command = /usr/sbin/lpc release %p %j
        queuepause command = /usr/sbin/lpc -P%p stop
        queueresume command = /usr/sbin/lpc -P%p start
        browseable = No

[homes]
        comment = %U Home Directory
        read only = No