[Samba] Windows changes file ownership & ACL's - any solution ?

David Brodbeck DavidB at mail.interclean.com
Thu Feb 21 09:00:03 GMT 2002

Does an NT server behave any differently?

My solution is to not rely on the owner being any particular user.  Set
things up (either with default ACLs on the folders, or with 'force group'
and 'create mode') so that the proper people will always have group
read/write access to the files.  This also lets you make sure that new files
will have the proper permissions.

For example, we might have an Engineering/R&D folder with default ACLs like
this:

DOMAIN+Engineering:rx
DOMAIN+R&D:rwx

Now every file and folder created in that directory will have read access
for people in the Engineering group, and read/write access for people in the
R&D group.  The only time it matters who owns the file is if someone wants
to change the attributes or ACLs on it, since attributes and ACLs can only
be changed by the owner or by root.