[Samba] Samba 2.2.3a + Windows XP - Office 2K & Messenger Crashes

Blanchard, Michael MBlanchard at grandaire.com
Thu Feb 21 06:53:16 GMT 2002

I don't think this is related to samba, but as my workplace is also infected with microsoft, I was gonna offer some help.  Do the users you are logging in as have administrative rights?  If not, have you tried to use office as an admistrator?  If not, you need to.  When you first open office 2000, it asks you if you want to register the copy with microsoft.  !!ONLY!! An administrator on that computer can answer that question because it writes the answer into a protected section of the registry, whether you answer yes or no.  If you don't do that, and try to use office as a non-administrator, when it checks the registry to see if that was answered, it sees that value doesn't exist, so it will either just close, or keep asking the person to answer if they want to register it with microsoft.  So all you have to do is login as an administrator and answer either yes or no, and then it should work fine.  (if that's the problem)  This is the TOP call microsoft recieves on their office support number.  :)