[Samba] Samba 2.2.3a + Windows XP - Office 2K & Messenger Crashes

Charles Marcus CharlesM at Media-Brokers.com
Thu Feb 21 14:59:03 GMT 2002

I agree this is not a Samba issue, but it sounds suspiciously similar to the
problem that arises as a result of using a <gasp> bootleg copy of Office 2K.
Here is the details of the cause, and the fix...

From:
www.astwood.com/tech/Microsoft/office_quit.asp

Office quits immediately after startup

Office 2000
SR-1
----
SUMMARY
This article describes how to fix the problem where Office 2000 quits
immediately after startup after SR-1 has been installed
----
CAUSE
Office was installed by using a CD key that begins with GC6J3
----
SOLUTION
Locate your valid product CD Key, which is located on the back of the
original CD case.

If the product CD Key begins with GC6J3, the Product Key is not valid in
Microsoft Office 2000 SR-1/SR-1a. Get a working key

On the Start menu, click Run.

In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.

In Registry Editor, find the following subkey (folder):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Click the plus sign (+) next to this folder. If you see only one subkey in
this folder that has a 32-character {GUID} (globally unique identifier),
select that subkey and go to step 5.

Find the key with the name: {GUID}: {00000409-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7}

DisplayName: Microsoft Office 2000 Premium

Select the ProductID string value in the right pane.

On the Edit menu, click Rename.

Type OldProductID and then press ENTER.

On the Registry menu, click Exit.

Start any Office program.

When the Microsoft Office 2000 User Information dialog box appears, type
your valid product CD Key

Hope this helped...

Charles