[Samba] Ack! No Answer for my Printer Troubles?

Christian Barth barth at cck.uni-kl.de
Fri Feb 15 08:05:30 GMT 2002

> I'm hoping my desperate post yesterday just didn't make it across.  Does
> anyone have any suggestions?  Or just want to say "Hi"?
>
> Using...
>
> 	CUPS 1.1.13
> 	Samba 2.2.1a
> 	Gimp-Print 4.2.0
>
> on a RH 7.2 computer with a USB Epson Stylus Photo 420 printer hooked up
> to a Windows98 computer...
>
> I am unable to print properly... The output seems to be dying on its way
> to the Windows 98 computer, since the printer prints fine with it's
> hooked up directly to the Linux box by the same USB cable.  I can't find
> any suggestion in the Windows computer that something is going wrong
> there.  When printing, though, the printout "fades", as if the last few
> lines of the document were just cut off or dropped from the spool.
Do you get anything out of the printer? What about a document with
several pages?

To debug do the following:
Print to a file, possibly on win98 using the printer driver for this
printer. Attach the printer to the win98 box an copy this test file
with the printer data (NOT the application data) to the printer port
(I know this works with LPT's, not sure about USB): If the print out
is correct, your test file with the printer data ist correct.

Transfer the test file to the linux box, connect the printer to the
w98 box. Issue a command like:

(echo "print -" ; cat testfile) | \
smbclient //w98pc/printer -U user -P

(look up the correct syntax in man smbclient, things may have changed
since I did this the last time.) You should be asked about a password
and supplying the right one, the test file should be printed. Once
this works, you may have to try a little with the syntax, user,
password and the file to print, you do not have a samba problem, but
one in your printing subsytem. Then do the same on this side: print
to a file form the linux application. This file is probably a
postscript file. Use lpr to try printing, use the tool you mentioned
to convert the postscript to the date needed for your printer, try
the above, try to print with lpr, watch for errors ...

Good luck.

Christian