[Samba] Samba 2.2.1a PDC Help with XP

Frank Fürst ffrank at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Mon Feb 11 03:35:05 GMT 2002

"Jonathan Bell" <jbell at alpinerecords.com> schrieb:

> The account used is a
> computer account. Use your global user account or local account to access
> this server."  I have changing the registry from 1 to 0 at
> "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet\Services\ControlSet\Services\Netlogon\
> Parameters\requiresignorseal" and that did not help.

You need:

- a Unix account for the computer in /etc/passwd, e.g. xpmachine$ (it's
said that it's possible to add that on the fly too, but I didn't manage
to)

- *no* machine account in smbpasswd

- a setup that enables root to create this machine account from the
client - see htmldocs/Samba-PDC-Howto.html.

Then you change the network settings from "Workgroup: $DIFFERENT_NAME"
to "Domain: $YOURDOMAIN" and choose "create computer account" - I didn't
do it with XP, but the same problem exists with Win2k.

Bye, Frank