[Samba] Upgrade from 2.0.7 to 2.2.2 failure

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Feb 7 22:10:06 GMT 2002

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 09:28:17PM -0700, Craig Kelley wrote:

> I've noticed smbd processes hung at 100% utilization (they'll keep
> plugging away for days until killed) while printing.  What would be the
> best way to get you the information you need?  I don't know if compiling
> with debug support and then attaching gdb to it would be enough?

I'd really like to know when they're at 100% cpu where in the
code they're spinning. Attaching with gdb and using strace
is probably best.

Expect some changes to print scalability *soon*. This is a
big deal for HP.....

> We have modest printing needs (15 printers, about 300 jobs a day), but the
> spoolss system has been... interesting.  Sometimes the autoconfiguration
> works (laserjet 5mp), sometimes it doesn (laserjet 4000+ps -- but Windows
> only uses the PCL driver).  But like the poster above said, even if I
> disable it, we don't get 2.0.7 behavior.

I'm CC:ing Jerry on this - we need to be able to get 2.0.7
behaviour when turning spoolss off.

Jeremy.