[Samba] Upgrade from 2.0.7 to 2.2.2 failure

Gerald Carter jerry at samba.org
Fri Feb 8 06:05:11 GMT 2002

On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 09:28:17PM -0700, Craig Kelley wrote:
> >
> > I've noticed smbd processes hung at 100% utilization (they'll keep
> > plugging away for days until killed) while printing.  What would be the
> > best way to get you the information you need?  I don't know if compiling
> > with debug support and then attaching gdb to it would be enough?
>
> I'd really like to know when they're at 100% cpu where in the
> code they're spinning. Attaching with gdb and using strace
> is probably best.
>
> Expect some changes to print scalability *soon*. This is a
> big deal for HP.....
>
> > We have modest printing needs (15 printers, about 300 jobs a day), but the
> > spoolss system has been... interesting.  Sometimes the autoconfiguration
> > works (laserjet 5mp), sometimes it doesn (laserjet 4000+ps -- but Windows
> > only uses the PCL driver).  But like the poster above said, even if I
> > disable it, we don't get 2.0.7 behavior.
>
> I'm CC:ing Jerry on this - we need to be able to get 2.0.7
> behaviour when turning spoolss off.

Setting "disable spoolss = yes" only forces NT 4 clients to downgrade to
LanMan printing.  All the new internals (queue monitoring, tdbs, printer
information, etc...) is still there.

It would be good if we could quantify what "2.0.7 behavior"
really is.  This would be a start.  At least then we would all be on the
same page as far as expectations go.

chau, jerry