[Samba] Upgrade from 2.0.7 to 2.2.2 failure

Craig Kelley ink at inconnu.isu.edu
Thu Feb 7 20:33:06 GMT 2002

On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 10:33:14AM -0500, Wayne S. Gabree wrote:
> > We attempted to upgrade from samba 2.0.7 to 2.2.2.  The system was
> > crushed by enormously increased cpu utilization.  Here's some specifics:
> >
> > 	System:  Sun E250, 1 cpu, 1GB memory, 1 9GB disk
> > 	Samba:   1,324 printshares
> > 	Average Daily Print traffic:  3,000 jobs
> >
> > 2.0.7 handled this workload without much problem, but 2.2.2 drove
> > cpu utilization up to a load average of almost 80 before I decided
> > to roll back.
> >
> > I tried 2.2.3 in a test lab and it didn't seem any better - and the
> > rpcclient command didn't work, which is why we rolled out 2.2.2.
> > Also, using the disable spoolss = yes made all printing unavailable.
> >
> > Does anyone know why this happened?  My guess is that the spoolss
> > support is just that much more expensive, but it would be nice to
> > confirm my hunch.
>
> Spoolss support is more expensive. In what way
> did the rpcclient not work (I did some work on that
> before 2.2.3 released) ?
>
> I'd love to get more information/statistics on this
> problem, as I'm trying to improve the 2.2.x, 3.x
> print scaling problem at the moment (this is a big
> issue for HP).
>
> Can you send more details please ?

I've noticed smbd processes hung at 100% utilization (they'll keep
plugging away for days until killed) while printing.  What would be the
best way to get you the information you need?  I don't know if compiling
with debug support and then attaching gdb to it would be enough?

We have modest printing needs (15 printers, about 300 jobs a day), but the
spoolss system has been... interesting.  Sometimes the autoconfiguration
works (laserjet 5mp), sometimes it doesn (laserjet 4000+ps -- but Windows
only uses the PCL driver).  But like the poster above said, even if I
disable it, we don't get 2.0.7 behavior.

Another thing I've noticed is that Windows 2000 always says "access
denied" in the left-hand portion of the printer job screen, or if a
printer is highlighted in the control panel.  Jobs still print just fine,
so I don't worry about it too much.

--
It is financially more expensive to go to prison than to attend Harvard.
Craig Kelley  -- kellcrai at isu.edu
http://www.isu.edu/~kellcrai finger ink at inconnu.isu.edu for PGP block