[Samba] Upgrade from 2.0.7 to 2.2.2 failure

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Feb 7 17:00:09 GMT 2002

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 10:33:14AM -0500, Wayne S. Gabree wrote:
> We attempted to upgrade from samba 2.0.7 to 2.2.2.  The system was
> crushed by enormously increased cpu utilization.  Here's some specifics:
>
> 	System:  Sun E250, 1 cpu, 1GB memory, 1 9GB disk
> 	Samba:   1,324 printshares
> 	Average Daily Print traffic:  3,000 jobs
>
> 2.0.7 handled this workload without much problem, but 2.2.2 drove
> cpu utilization up to a load average of almost 80 before I decided
> to roll back.
>
> I tried 2.2.3 in a test lab and it didn't seem any better - and the
> rpcclient command didn't work, which is why we rolled out 2.2.2.
> Also, using the disable spoolss = yes made all printing unavailable.
>
> Does anyone know why this happened?  My guess is that the spoolss
> support is just that much more expensive, but it would be nice to
> confirm my hunch.

Spoolss support is more expensive. In what way
did the rpcclient not work (I did some work on that
before 2.2.3 released) ?

I'd love to get more information/statistics on this
problem, as I'm trying to improve the 2.2.x, 3.x
print scaling problem at the moment (this is a big
issue for HP).

Can you send more details please ?

Jeremy.