[Samba] Upgrade from 2.0.7 to 2.2.2 failure

Wayne S. Gabree wgabree at mitre.org
Thu Feb 7 07:38:12 GMT 2002

We attempted to upgrade from samba 2.0.7 to 2.2.2.  The system was
crushed by enormously increased cpu utilization.  Here's some specifics:

	System:  Sun E250, 1 cpu, 1GB memory, 1 9GB disk
	Samba:   1,324 printshares
	Average Daily Print traffic:  3,000 jobs

2.0.7 handled this workload without much problem, but 2.2.2 drove
cpu utilization up to a load average of almost 80 before I decided
to roll back.

I tried 2.2.3 in a test lab and it didn't seem any better - and the
rpcclient command didn't work, which is why we rolled out 2.2.2.
Also, using the disable spoolss = yes made all printing unavailable.

Does anyone know why this happened?  My guess is that the spoolss
support is just that much more expensive, but it would be nice to
confirm my hunch.

Thanks!
Wayne