[Samba] Re: Samba 2.2.3 Oplock problem...

Martyn Ranyard ranyardm at lineone.net
Wed Feb 6 08:36:14 GMT 2002

Remember that this is from memory of a user-group meeting about 3-4 months
ago, but anyway...

At 04:14 PM 2/6/02 +0000, Noel Kelly wrote:
>So, Martyn would it be true to say this:
>
>Oplocks should only really be used in situations where a server is sharing
>program files or other relatively static data ?

The reason M$ created oplocks was to give an overall impression of more
speed.  This works quite well when there is a nice tight network with no
delay points or when it is likely that only one user is accessing the file
at once.

>Home drives and other files which are primarily only opened by one user at a
>time would see no value in oplocks ?

No - they would see the most value, as the file is cached at the client and
any writes remain on the client until flushed back to the server, thus
making write access much quicker.

>Databases and other dynamic data shares which can be altered by many users
>should certainly have oplocks disabled ?

Whilst I cannot say one way or another on a tight network, because in
theory it can slightly speed things up if say the program locks a record,
and unlocks it, that kind of thing is never passed to the server if no
changes are actually made.  On a leaky network you are definitely right and
when especially when M$ Access is used, because M$ wrote it so that it
would use oplocks heavily and that just shows up the bad behavior of such
predictive coding.